Sunday, October 10, 2010

e-Government: citizen awareness and involvement in government affairs

I have to admit two things: (1) I had no idea that the government sites we were to explore even existed before this week. (2) Whitehouse.gov and the other sites listed as required to visit truly fascinated me. When I read the assignment, I don't know what I was expecting to find on those site, but what I found peaked my interest. I am certain I will use these sites on a regular basis now that I know they exist. For example, when I want to see the latest press conference or publication by the President or other governmental officials I can start with Whitehouse.gov. If I want data or numbers about current events or trends (e.g. FDA drug recalls), I can go to Data.gov instead of Google (though Google is a good resource, this puts the information all in one place).

My favorite site I found was healthcare.gov. On this site you can find information about healthcare plans and options for you. It cites information for different ages, marital status, and employers. This indeed is a way the goverment is addressing the new laws regarding healthcare, making an effort to help people find what they need. But, how many people know this information is available? How many people who know about it actually use it?

In context of the readings for this week, I see there is a shift in the way government thinks and acts--or at least the shift is starting. e-Government will be so important in the future, and is already important now. Sites like these exist because the government is trying to make information accessible to the common citizen. Anyone with access to the worldwide web can access these sites. The information will influence how people think and act in regards to public policy, voting, and understanding our world as a nation. In that way, these are definitely platforms for government.

Still, I agree with several of the readings for this week: we still have a long way to go. Even though this information is out there, how many people (even somewhat educated people like myself who actually want to be involved in the community) are aware of these sites and that the information IS available? I would say far too few. But is government going to advertise this information? Possibly. They advertise for services like Service Arizona, where you can go online and register to vote, renew your driver's license, and renew your vehicle registration. Things are getting easier and government is becoming more accessible to ordinary people, but I can see that things will need to progress even more to get to where our readings discussed.

e-Government will be significant as elections come closer (particularly presidential elections). People will be glad to get to "know" the candidates in a way they haven't been able to before (well, at least before President Obama). No longer will goverment be out of reach for us citizens. Public record will truly be public record. With that information we will have the capability to be more active in government and community involvement.

I think as one outcome of taking this class I will be better informed and more in tune with the "real" world, even if that world comes to life via the web. I can share service experiences with other people and start large community outreach programs if I want. The government is opening the doors of communication to the public in ways the public can access them. They just need to get the word out about what is available. The time to be active in the community and in government is now, and it will only get easier and easier to be a nation of sharing and commonalities rather than one of conflict and differences. The bridging of the gap between government and the people will be realized and the gap will get smaller and smaller. This is a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Starla - your blog compelled me to visit healthcare.gov, a website I was not aware of and one that has some good information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, glad you found this helpful! I really like the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best post to date. Good analysis throughout and I appreciate the extra website and analysis of what is brings. It is important too to differentiate the sites that are pretty political neutral like data.gov, with the sites that are promoting a specific agenda or representative. While the government might provide the support for congress-peoples website, the content will probably be provided by the campaign themselves and it is unclear how much of it is exactly accurate vs campaigning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... Contratacion electronica

    ReplyDelete